- Parisian authorities told CNN early Tuesday morning the massive fire that ravaged the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is contained, hours after the flames first erupted on Monday evening.
- Images from the outside of the more than 850-year-old cathedral revealed a roof aflame. Shocking videos captured its iconic spire collapsing.
- Photos offer a glimpse of the inside of the cathedral.
- The cathedral, an architectural, historical, and artistic wonder, has become a symbol not only for those practicing Catholicism but also to Parisians.
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
The massive fire that broke out and burned well into the night at the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on Monday evening was „completely under control,“ as of early Tuesday morning, according to authorities.
Images from the outside of the more than 850-year-old cathedral revealed a roof aflame, and shocking videos captured its iconic spire collapsing. Now, several photos offer a glimpse of the inside of the cathedral.
Construction of the Notre Dame Cathedral began in 1163; it took a century to build and was finished in the 13th century. The cathedral, an architectural, historical, and artistic wonder, has become a symbol not only for those practicing Catholicism but also to Parisians and visitors from around the world.
The fire, which is believed to have started in the attic of the cathedral, broke out at around 6:30 p.m. local time Monday. Around 400 firefighters worked to contain the flames; one was seriously injured, officials said.
There is still much that is unknown about the fire, including what started it, the extent of the damage inside of the cathedral (paintings, sculptures, the organs, and more).
Here’s what photos from the inside of the cathedral show thus far.
Firefighters doused flames from the burning Notre Dame Cathedral as people looked on in Paris on Monday evening
The fire consumed part of the roof, and the iconic spire collapsed due to the fire.
Smoke is seen inside of the cathedral’s nave
A photo from Reuters shows smoke in the nave, known as the main body of the Notre Dame Cathedral. Smoke is visible around the altar.
A closer look at the altar surrounded by smoke
The cross and altar are more visible along with smoke in this photo from the Associated Press.
See the rest of the story at Business Insider
Source: business insider